Here’s The Best Way to Clean Carpets
Carpets are very delicate and are prone to accumulating dust and dirt. This makes cleaning carpet stains very hard and can be a disaster if not properly done.
Always handle carpet properly and make sure that it receives the proper care and cleaning. Expel dirt every now and then to avoid worsening the problem.
To make sure that your carpet gets the best method of cleaning, we offer you these four simple ways to maintain the cleanliness of your carpet.
#1 – Use Proper Vacuuming Technique
It is very important that you are familiar with proper vacuuming techniques, otherwise, you will get a less than satisfying result.
Before you start vacuuming, go around first and check for small things on the carpet, such as coins, accessories, hair ties, small toys, and pick them up. It’s essential that tiny objects will not be sucked by the vacuum or else it will cause possible trouble and malfunction.
One thing that most people don’t do is check their equipment first. I read stories of people vacuuming without them knowing that their canister is SUPER full already or the machine doesn’t have enough suction power.
So check your equipment first, folks.
Start your vacuum and test with your hand (be careful though!) if it has enough suction power. You should also check the dust canister. If it’s 3 quarters full, empty it out. Make sure that you also have the right attachments.
Next thing you have to check is if you have the right cleaning materials. Does your carpet have a urine smell ? You probably need a strong agent to remove both the urine and the lingering smell. Is this just a weekly carpet cleaning activity? You probably just need a good carpet shampoo.
Take your time
Do not rush when you are doing cleaning chores. Slowly move the vacuum cleaner to and fro to ensure that tiny dust and dirt particles are efficiently vacuumed.
The vacuum cannot absorb dirt fast; it requires a short amount of time to effectively clean the carpet fibers.
In moving the vacuum cleaner, do it slowly in a single direction and slowly pull it back towards you.
Repeat the steps until all the sections or spaces of the carpet are clean. This is the best way to clean your carpet.
Now Do It In Reverse
To ensure that the carpet is totally clean, you may vacuum the carpet again, this time at the opposite direction.
You should clean the carpet in a parallel and then in a horizontal manner, or reverse the direction of your first vacuum. The process will allow the vacuum to absorb all the particles in the carpet, giving it a nice deep clean.
Use The Vacuum’s Attachments
The vacuums sold in the market today usually come with some attachments.
The vacuum hose, for instance, can be used to effectuate dust absorption in very tight corridors or areas that cannot be normally reached.
From time to time, empty the canister – don’t wait until it’s full. It’s good to empty the dust canister when it’s almost 3 quarters full. Vacuuming with a full canister will make your cleaning and suction less efficient.
In dealing with delicate area rugs, make use of the upholstery tools with your vacuum to remove the dirt. This will gently handle and clean the rug to make sure it doesn’t get ruined.
Just gently glide the upholstery attachment along the rug and you’re all set.
Familiarize yourself with the kind of material your carpet is made of, there are certain types of carpet that require an extra special kind of cleaning and attention. (For example, shag pile rugs.)
It’s good to know the kind of material you need to clean it in the proper manner.
Certain areas like the stairs cannot be cleaned by the vacuum cleaner without its hose attachment. This area doesn’t allow the vacuum to efficiently move back and forth slowly.
Clean the stairs by simply using the hose to run all over the area and vacuum the dirt slowly and carefully. Make sure that you allow the hose to slowly remove the dust in every tiny area.
Depending on the circumstances, you need to vacuum your home at least once a week as this is the best way to clean carpets thoroughly. Although more is better.
Ensuring a clean environment at home is very important since safety and health are at stake here. You don’t want to breed bacteria right in your own living room! Homes with more people, or with pets usually mean more dust and dirt. Thus, regular cleaning will be necessary.
Homes with fewer family members should vacuum their place at least once a week.
Carpets are good places for allergens and dirt to accumulate so it is best if we ensure that our carpet is cleaned on a regular basis.
Cleaning Carpet Stains Immediately
Carpets are made of sensitive materials and can get dirty quite easily so don’t leave small spots and stains to accumulate, else you’re going to spend HOURS cleaning.
If a spillage happens on your carpet, clean it immediately! Failing to do so will allow the stain to spread or dirt and debris to bury deep into the carpets fibers.
Bear in mind the various ways you can clean dirt in your carpets. Liquid residue, for instance, must be dried immediately using a clean cloth and rinsed with cold water to eliminate any odor.
Brushing is not recommended as it may only scatter the dirt and ruin the texture of the carpet. You may also use a cleaning product, or you might just consider shampooing your carpet.
Leave Your (And Your Guest’s) Shoes at the Door
Simple rules such as leaving your shoes and slippers outside can help as well. It can prevent dirt accumulating in the carpet or worse still, stain it.
Always ask everyone or remind them that footwear should be left at the door and to wear house slippers. The dirt that your shoes gathered outside could be hazardous to your health and also could stain the carpet – you don’t want that to happen.
Watch Your Pets Closely
Pets love to lay around on carpets. As much as it is very cute and normal, it can be troublesome too.
Their fur and odor will be absorbed in the carpet fiber adding up to the dirt that we all want to avoid. Even worse, they may urinate in the carpet which is hard to clean.
Pet owners must always monitor their pets to avoid such mess happening. You should ensure that they are bathed often, because most of the time they are the ones bringing mud inside the home which eventually stains the carpet.
It’s best to house train your pets as well – tell ‘em to stop urinating in your carpet!
#2 – Spot Cleaning Your Stained Carpet
As technology advances, so does our stuff at home, even carpets!
The market today offers stain-resistant carpet, which is very convenient for every household or other establishment. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as absolutely stain proof carpets, so if your carpet gets stained, here are the best ways to treat it.
Step One: Absorbing the Spillage
- Allow the liquid residue to be absorbed using a clean white cloth or paper towels. Scoop up any food spills and pick any dried bits that have fallen on your carpet.
- Never allow stain causing materials or food to remain on your carpet for long.
- Remember: Never use a brush in treating a stain on your carpet, the bristles of the brush can only damage the carpet and spread the stain.
Step Two: Treating the Stains
- In cleaning your carpet, it is advisable to use a CRI Certified Seal of Approval cleaning product. These products are proven to be very effective in cleaning the unwanted stains from your carpet and probably the best way to clean carpet stains.
- Make sure to follow the products directions carefully. You may have to repeat the procedure a few more times to achieve the desired result.
Tips and Tricks for Pet Owners
If you own a pet, you might need to take extra precaution and patience in treating stains and odors. But there are many ways to deal with them. Such as:
- Make sure that you always keep it clean by vacuuming it more often than usual. Pet fur will most likely stick to the carpet fiber and it would only proliferate bacteria and encourage allergens.
- Spills and other residues must be taken care of immediately if necessary follow the steps for stain removal.
- Quickly clean up the mess! Don’t procrastinate.
- When your pet urinates on the carpet, dry the urine with cloth and rinse the carpet using cold water. This will help in minimizing the odor. In worst case scenarios, you should use carpet cleaners.
- Potty train your pet.
- If you have a cat, a carpet might prove to be a tempting scratching tool. Get yourself a scratching post or tree bark if you’re on a budget.
#3 – How To “Shampoo” Your Carpet
With the handful of different methods and techniques for cleaning carpets, one of the best ways is through the use of a carpet shampoo.
It has been used widely by many people across the country and is proven to be a very effective and safe way for carpets to be cleaned.
Luckily, there are several brands of carpet shampoo in the market today, you can always choose the best among them. Keep in mind that you should follow the instructions of the product.
Preparation – Make It Easy For You
1) Find a good place where you can clean your carpet – You can remove or even set aside furniture to give yourself room where you can clean your carpet.
2) Carefully spray stained parts of the carpet using a stain remover – To achieve a better result, follow the instructions given as to how to apply the chemicals to your stained or dirty carpet.
3) Get the carpet cleaning machine prepped – In shampooing carpet, first fill the machine’s tank with water, then pour in an adequate amount of carpet shampoo. Finally, you clean your carpet accordingly.
1) Follow proper shampooing procedure – Always follow the proper procedure for shampooing the carpet. You can begin cleaning it carefully starting from one corner towards the other. This will surely clean the dirt that accumulated in the carpet fiber. Avoid cleaning it in random circles and a zigzaging manner since that will more than likely take you longer to finish.
2) Clean the carpet in it’s entirety, going over it several times – Carefully check the area of the carpet to see whether or not there are stubborn stains left. Give special attention to those areas with stain until the whole carpet is already clean.
3) Make sure to refill with clean water every time you use it – Keep the water in the machine clean, change it every now and then to ensure that the carpet is thoroughly cleaned.
4) Leave your carpet to dry with your windows open – Dry your carpet carefully otherwise it will have a foul odor. You can also watch videos on YouTube on how to properly shampoo your carpet.
#4 – Prevent Your Carpet Getting Dirty
While carpeting can be very beneficial, comfortable and warm, it can also be enormously difficult to keep clean. As the old saying goes, a good offense is often the best defense. With this in mind, it is pertinent to take steps to prevent your carpet from becoming a mess in the first place. Below, you will find tips for keeping your carpet in pristine condition.
It is very easy for your carpets to get dirty. Crumbs, dirt and other debris can easily hit the ground and then sink deep into the carpet’s fibers. In order to prevent food crumbs from penetrating your carpet, it is essential to vacuum frequently. Make sure you have access to a reliable vacuum cleaner, which will be able to extract the debris from the carpet’s deepest fibers.
Typically, you should try to vacuum your entire home at least once a week. During each vacuuming, you should move your furniture so you can reach all areas.
On the off days, you should consider vacuuming without moving your furniture. By remaining diligent with your home carpet cleaning protocol, you will be able to keep your home in immaculate condition.
React To Stains Immediately
Carpet is very delicate and it can get dirty rapidly. Allowing a mess to linger will only cause it to worsen severely. As soon as you notice a mess, it is absolutely essential to react immediately. Failing to do so will allow a stain to spread or dirt and debris to shift deep into the carpet’s fibers.
If you spill a liquid onto your carpet, you should do your best to soak it up right away. Grab a white towel and soak up the stain. Avoid using a colored clothing, as the colored dye may be absorbed into the carpet.
Remember to avoid scrubbing at first, since this will only push the stain deeper into the carpet. Absorb the liquid with the cloth, until you’ve gotten it as dry as possible. Then, you’ll want to use a carpet cleaning product to clean the stain.
Leave Them at the Door
Many consumers become too comfortable in their own homes and this will cause them to take their carpet for granted. To avoid turning your carpets into a filthy mess, it is essential to make sure everyone takes off their shoes before they enter. Create a sign and hang it outside.
Make sure everyone is reminded to remove their shoes before stepping foot into your home. This will make life substantially easier and will prevent mud from being tracked all through your home.
Monitor Your Pets
Many pet owners will allow their pets to freely roam in and out of their home. While you’ll definitely want to give your pooch a little bit of freedom, you should also take precautions to prevent messes. Your dog isn’t going to care about your carpets on the mud on his or her paws.
Therefore, you will need to monitor your pets thoroughly and make sure their paws are clean before they step foot into your home. If your dog does track mud through your house, make sure you get it cleaned up as quickly as possible.
It’s not that hard, right? As long as you have this essential information with you, keeping your home clean is far from hard and impossible.
With the busy lives we lead today, it is better to have some life hacks in your pocket.
Carpets are very helpful and convenient, much more if you can take care of it properly and frequently.
A clean carpet means a clean home, a clean home means a healthy home, and as the ladder continues you will achieve happiness and contentment.